The workflow engine is a rules-based system that automatically sends email notifications, creates tasks, or performs an action when specific, user-defined events occur. Workflow features are available for both the Files & Discussions and Database tabs of workspaces. Workflows will trigger in the order of the displayed priority on your workflow list.
Begin using workflow by creating a new rule. To create a new rule, go to a database and click Options > Workflow > New Workflow Rule, then:
1. Name: Enter a name for the rule.
2. Type: Choose the type of rule: Email Notification, Task Creation, or Action.
3. Criteria: Select when the rule should be triggered and add criteria. Available options are when a record is:
- Added: Triggers when a record is created.
- Modified: Triggers when a record is changed.
- Deleted: Triggers when a record is deleted from the database.
- Checked Nightly: Records are monitored nightly to see if the rule's conditions are met. Checked nightly workflow rules also have a Run Rule Now option.
- Additional Criteria: Triggers the rule based on the content of specific fields in the database. All of the "Additional Criteria" must be met in order for the workflow rule to be triggered. For each Additional Criteria, there are two options:
- "and is changed": This means that the field must have been changed to the inputted criteria when the record was edited.
- "and matches": This means that the field can simply "match" and is not required to have been changed in order to trigger the workflow rule.
4. Select the members to notify or assign the task to (depending on the type of rule being created). You can optionally use the following variables:
- Created By (System Field): This is the member that originally created the record.
- Modified By (System Field): This is the member that last modified the record.
- Any field of type "Workspace Member" or "email": If your database has a "Workspace Member" field or an "Email Address" field, that field can be set as a variable in the notification/assignment area.
5. (For Task rules only) Add workspace members to the Task CC list (optional).
6. The subject and body of email notifications can be customized (see video below). To insert a variable, select it from the "Insert Variable" drop-down menu. Set the cursor in the subject or message body where you want to put the variable, then click the Insert button.
7. The due date of the task created by the workflow rule (applies to rules that create tasks, only) can also be customized. To set the task due date to a date field in the database, select the due date field from the Insert Variable drop-down menu, and click Set Date to Variable.
Action workflow rules
8. Create the "action" you want the rule to perform based on your criteria.
Any workflow rule that has the Checked Nightly criteria will have an additional option to be triggered immediately. When viewing a "Checked Nightly" rule from the workflow list, a Run Rule Now icon will appear. Clicking on this button will fire the rule on-demand and trigger any e-mails, tasks, or actions designated by the rule.
A database record's CC List can be set to any "email address" field in the record. When creating an Action type workflow rule, select "Add", then select your desired Email Address field.
Workflow rules can be made inactive by simply editing the rule and selecting the Inactive radio button.
Database Workflow rules can be completely deleted by clicking the 'trash can' icon when in the Workflow Rules page.